This course is offered over two years and provides the full range of topics covered on our one year Amenity Horticulture course but at a gentler pace. It provides students with a general all-round knowledge in key aspects of horticulture. Students are offered a good balance of practical and theory based skills including: scientific experiments, building techniques, garden design, organic production, plant care and identification. This course will enable you to gain an understanding of the fundamentals of horticulture with real hands on experience.
- Plant Science
- Soil Science
- Plant Identification
- Plant Protection
- Ornamental Horticulture
- Garden Design/Organic Production
- Permaculture Design/CAD
- Work Practice[/wpspoiler]
The course is aimed at mature students and school leavers who have a keen interest in horticulture and/or relevant experience.
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent
- Language test for international students.
2 years (Sept - May) taking 4 to 5 modules per academic year.
- The confidence and skills to design, construct and maintain a functional modern garden.
- An understanding of plants, their structure and care, the soil they grow in and how it all works.
- A QQI/FETAC Level 5 Award in Horticulture - 5M2586
Directly into employment with landscapers, garden centres and related areas. Many of our past students have also set up their own business. Progression to FETAC Level 6 Horticulture at Pearse College with further study available through the FETAC links scheme at level 6,7 8 and level 9.
This course is aimed at students who have been out of education for some time, have family commitments or otherwise need a longer period of time to complete their studies.
Please click here and fill in our application form. We will be in touch with you shortly regarding an interview time and date.